Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Agave plant just sprouted a "flower"?

My Agave Americana plant just sprouted a flower stem, (looks more like a tree) it's almost 20 feet high (I swear it sprouted in only a few weeks). I looked up agave americana and they showed pics of the tree like flower stalks, and said the agave will die after flowering :( Does anyone know how long the tree like flower will live? I couldn't find any answers as to how long this awsome tree like thing will live. Anyone else have an Agave plant? Thanx!

My Agave plant just sprouted a "flower"?
Wow! You are so lucky...these plants are also know as century plants because the legend is they only bloom once in a hundred years. In reality they bloom in about 20 years give or take depending on the species. The flower stalks do get quite high...20 feet is impressive indeed. Unfortunately the agave does die once it blooms. I am not sure how long the stalk will live but enjoy it while it lasts....found a site about length of bloom time .....It would seem they last for several months! I would love to see a picture!

arenas

No comments:

Post a Comment