Saturday, November 14, 2009

I live in zone 8 (southern Riverside County California?

We have murderous hot summers and quite cold winters but mild in between; I want to grow bird of paradise and blue agave in my borders ... is this possible or should I put them in planters.





Also, if they are in planters, is there a cover crop to plant around them that will spill over the side of the planter so as not to leave a lot of dirt exposed?


Thank you so much for helping me out.

I live in zone 8 (southern Riverside County California?
******* Hello, I am a Certified Master Gardener *******





We live in the same County. I love it here----I'm a native Californian.





Your plants would do well in the ground. Bird of paradise can take as long as seven years to bloom.





If you do decide to put them in large containers, you can protect them from the occasional KILLING FROSTS we get here. Containers on small wheeled dollies would be good.





Lantana and/or verbena would serve as a nice ground cover effect, and flower profusely.





I sincerely hope this proves beneficial to you.





Happy gardening!





P. JUDGE


No comments:

Post a Comment