Saturday, November 14, 2009

I would like to substitute the sugar in my baking recipes with Agave. Does anyone know equivalent amounts?

For example I made banana bread yesterday and it called for 1 cup of sugar instead of the sugar I wanted to use the agave but didnt know how much or if it is suitable for baking recipes. Has anyone tried it does it work well in baking. Is there any adjustments I need to make with the heat or time? Is there any ingredient it shouldnt be mixed with. I already substituted the butter in the banana recipe with coconut oil hopefully the agave will mix ok with it.....any suggestions plse.

I would like to substitute the sugar in my baking recipes with Agave. Does anyone know equivalent amounts?
Sure, when I've used agave is works very well! I substitute 3/4 c agave for 1 c sugar.





Because it has moisture and isn't dry like sugar, you should reduce the amounts of other liquids in the recipe by about 1/3.





It is also good to reduce the temperature in the oven a little (maybe by 20 - 25 deg F), and as with all baked goods, just do the toothpick test for doneness (it should come out clean). I haven't noticed any great variance in the time it takes to bake anything, and haven't had any trouble using agave as a sugar sub.





I've never tried it with coconut oil, but I don't think that should be a problem. Good luck! :)

augmon

No comments:

Post a Comment