Friday, November 13, 2009

What's the difference between regular corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup?

Is corn syrup any better for you? I'm attempting to go on a diet that cuts out most "Old World" foods and only uses ingredients native to the Americas. Part of it involves cutting back on sweeteners, and where needed, replacing sugar with Native American ingredients like maple syrup, agave syrup, honey, and corn syrup. I'm also going to give up high fructose corn syrup, as it processed and unnatural.

What's the difference between regular corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup?
HFCS is a super concentrated form of corn syrup. It will spike your insulin levels. Repeated spiking of you insulin CAN lead to Type II diabetes. I avoid all packages that contain either. If you had to rate one better than the other I would say regular corn syrup is less damaging than HFCS. I prefer natural sugars to added ones. Stick with oatmeal or natural granolas instead of a boxed cereals.
Reply:I am so tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment